In France, myocardial infarction (IdM) is for 100,000 people and kills 13% of people after 1 year and 70% after 5 years. However, pharmacological treatments already widely explored, only slow the progression of heart failure (HF) following IdM and do not replace the dead cardiomyocytes
Myocardial repair strategies are therefore a major new avenue of research. Cardiac progenitor cells (CPC) is a population of stem cells « dormant » located in the myocardium. During an IdM, these CPC are activated, proliferate, and migrate to the site of injury.
The β-adrenergic signaling (major route targeted in the treatment of HF: beta-blockers) regulates the balance between survival and death of the CPC by promoting their proliferation. We examine the hypothesis that after IdM, activation of the β2-adrenergic receptor promotes the activation of endogenous CPCs.
We study the mechanisms involved and assess the appropriateness of the use of β2-adrenergic agonists. In addition, and in collaboration with a team of chemists IBMM, we highlighted the facilitating effects of a small molecule synthesis.
- David Piquemal (Acobiom, Montpellier),
- Jean-Louis Montéro et Véronique Barragan-Montéro (IBMM, Montpellier).
Financial Suport :
- Bourse Marie Curie (Amanda Finan-Marchi, 2015-16).
Major Publications :
- Dong F, Harvey J, Finan A, Weber K, Agarwal U, Penn MS. Myocardial CXCR4 expression is required for mesenchymal stem cell mediated repair following acute myocardial infarction. Circulation. 2012 Jul 17;126(3):314-24.
- Finan A, Kiedrowski M, Turturice BA, Sopko NA, Penn MS. Cardiac pressure overload initiates a systemic stem cell response.. Cytotherapy. 2012 Sep;14(8):983-93.
- Finan A, Sopko N, Dong F, Turturice B, Kiedrowski M, Penn MS. Bone marrow SSEA1+ cells support the myocardium in cardiac pressure overload. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 9;8(7):e68528.
- Finan A, Dong F, Penn MS Regenerative strategies for preserving and restoring cardiac function. Front Biosci (Elite Ed). 2013 Jan 1;5:232-48. Review.